Guidelines To Build A Successful User Interface Design
When you first meet a person, that first encounter is always crucial. Your body language, eye contact or perhaps the way you even smile. These characteristics define a person while user interface design defines the image of your company and its product or service. It is an essential component for structuring a user-friendly and prevailing digital product.
A good user interface design promotes a better user experience through its elegant and seamless design. An attractive, well-designed user interface design will increase the chances of customers using it. The UI design becomes the image of the company and its product in the sense that the user gains a degree of comfort while accessing the product or service. Thus, increasing the probability of customers returning to the software.
But how exactly can you enhance a user interface design? You can improve your UI design using the Golden Rules for User Interface Design, which will help you create a seamlessly simple and efficient interface.
Golden Rules For User Interface Design:
1. Clarity And Consistency
A well designed user interface mainly focuses on keeping its layout clear and consistent. The likelihood of a customer using your product without much trouble stems from the fact that they can use it without any confusion.
- A good UI design is consistent regarding layout, navigation proponents, and design patterns. Consistency of UI design creates a sense of familiarity for the user, thereby reducing the cognitive load and enhancing usability.
Thus, by using simple and consistent elements for UI design, like icons or buttons, users can see how the interface works and have a pleasant experience.
2. Keep It Simple
A simple UI design always includes a simple interface with a clutter-free layout. The absence of unnecessary elements and information helps the user to work much efficiently and complete the important tasks. Any additional or unnecessary information should be avoided.
- If you are in doubt about how to identify unnecessary elements, then remove all the secondary information, controls that are not used, distracting aspects of layout, etc.. which are some examples of unnecessary details.
With time limits and busy days, users often have a short attention span. They look for faster ways of achieving goals which call for an effortless UI design. It is necessary to put together a user interface design which is straightforward and simple so that the users can use the products or services with optimum engagement.
3. Provide Feedback And Affordance
Feedback is crucial for customers to understand their interactions with the user interface design. It gives an idea of the possible outcome through their interaction with a product or service. It mainly helps when a customer needs clarification and needs help knowing where to process or what to do.
- For example, what change would happen on clicking a button or what message appears after completing a task?
Feedback is the means through which the customer is reassured of their efforts. Affordance helps the user to understand the use or action of a specific function in the UI design.
4. Improve Accessibility
A clear and simple layout in user interface design increases user accessibility thereby ensuring a good user experience of the product or service. So why exactly is accessibility important for user interface design?
- Specific UI designs fail to provide the necessary elements that could help disabled people access the product or service.
Easy accessibility is also crucial for people using the platform for the first time and those with less or no experience with digital tools. Therefore, it is essential to follow specific web accessibility guidelines like navigation support, alt text for images, etc., making the user experience effective and productive.
5. Understanding Your Customer
A top-notch product or service first understands its customer. The first question of every product design is who it addresses (audience).
- If a company successfully provides a good product but fails to understand its customer, it will likely lose popularity. It is necessary to conduct in-depth research on users/audiences to understand their psychology and their needs.
Designing the user interface according to the audience’s expectations will enhance productivity and satisfaction. This helps to structure the UI design in a more straightforward and consistent manner for an optimized experience.
6. Maintaining Information Hierarchy
Structuring information hierarchically allows the user to access it much faster than going through details that are less important to them. A good information hierarchy lets a user quickly navigate and grasp the information.
- Maintaining the structure using good spacing, bullet points, headings, and subheadings makes the information easily accessible.
Information hierarchy can also be achieved by changing some aspects of the layout, like white or negative space, size, font, reading pattern, etc. Thus, structuring and maintaining an efficient information hierarchy is vital for a good UI design.
7. Recovery And Error Prevention
Despite following these guidelines and creating the user interface with the utmost care, there are chances of errors that can occur while working. Like the other design aspects, user interface designers must implement designs or programs to avoid mistakes.
- The UI designs can employ error prevention and recovery messages by providing a clear guide for users to rectify their errors or giving information on how to manage critical actions.
Error prevention strategies can be simple messages like case-sensitive info “Caps-on” or entering the captcha correctly. Including recovery and error-prevention designs are important elements of user interface design.
8. User’s Control And Freedom
You heard it right! It is necessary to allow users a certain degree of control and freedom. Increasing users’ control will give them a sense of navigation through the site even if they have that freedom or not.
- Allow your user to take action rather than making them feel restricted. The user interface design should also include options to return in case they think they did something wrong.
- Increased user control and freedom can be achieved by embedding this function with error and recovery prevention.
Elevating User Satisfaction Through Golden Rules In UI Design
The Golden Rules of User Interface Design help create a simple, clear, and consistent digital product for users. By following the need for error prevention, recovery, information hierarchy, feedback, affordance, and easy accessibility, user interface designers can provide an optimum experience for its user. These golden rules ensure that your product or service will provide a pleasant experience and user satisfaction.
With Hogoco UI design studio, you can achieve this optimized experience of user interface designing. We provide UI/UX services using these guiding principles and produce the finest digital interfaces.